Baby William really digs his new blanket.
The hat on the other hand...well that is another story. He looks really peaceful in these photos. This was another project I started this past summer for my baby nephew. I told my sister I could finish it up before I left the Midwest on our summer vacation.
I didn't end up finishing while we were still there, but it was really shortly after and it gave me something fun to knit when I had some down time while we played at the lake. On the pontoon boat one foggy morn I made a bit of progress.
When I wasn't too busy adoring these lovebugs.
They were a little bit tired this foggy morn.
The hat was similar to most of my other ribbed hats. I used some Amy Butler yarn (didn't know she made yarn until our trip to Crafty Planet). It was simple to knit with. I think I used size 5 or 6 circular needles. I decided to just wing the color changes between the blue and brown color. The yarn is a mix of organic wool and organic cotton, so perfect for a brand spankin' new little baby head.
I got the idea to do a double pom pom up top from a hat that my kids had when they were a bit smaller.
Not a knit hat but a fleece number we got as a gift that I loved. I think I liked the idea of a challenge too, needed to vary my predictable hat just a smidge. I guess my sweater gave me some confidence. I used one of my handy stitch holders while I finished one side and then went back and did all of my decreasing for the other point. I am glad I was putting pom poms on there because I did have some little bits that needed covering. I'm generally quite the perfectionist but when you get right down to it, it just needs to keep the baby head warm.
Don't you love my creepy model?
There was a bit of a gap in the middle (between the pom poms) so I ended up sewing that center up just a titch as well, with some yarn of course and it came together just fine. After all of the loose ends were tucked in you couldn't even tell I'd done anything. I think I also realized how I can make it better the next time I attempt a double pom pom on a ribbed hat.
And Baby William, once again, I cannot wait to snuggle you. Hopefully before you are a month old, if all goes as I wish for it to.
I'm starting another sweater, I tore out the sweater for my sweet husband - that will be a project for later...
I started my sweater a few days ago and pulled the entire thing out last night. I decided on a hoodie of sorts. I didn't want to deal with a zipper though, so I'm knitting a pullover hoodie. The pattern I picked I found on Ravelry. The sweater is called the Weekend Hoodie, unfortunately not a free pattern, but one that looked pretty much spot on. I love having a hood on my sweaters, it is a definite bonus on windy/chilly spring days. I decided to start with a sweater for myself, maybe that is selfish, but I haven't made a single thing for myself yet so I suppose it is high time!
I ran into problems right from the get-go, you'd think after all of the knitting in the round I do, I would have it figured out, but I definitely didn't! The second row was the reason for pulling my entire sweater apart. When I say entire sweater - I was on row 12 ish...so not really that far, but when you cast on 220 stitches it feels like a LOT. I started over after figuring this out....
- garter: knit every row
- stockinette: knit 1 row, purl 1 row
- reverse stockinette: purl 1 row, knit 1 row
- garter: knit 1 round, purl 1 round - this is where I went wrong. I was just knitting, knitting, knitting...not making a very appealing bottom to my sweater.
- stockinette: knit knit knit every row
- reverse stockinette: purl purl purl
I mean, it makes perfect sense when you think really hard about it, problem is I wasn't thinking very hard about it.
Before I sign off I should tell you about my delicious yarn choice. I keep going back and forth between whether or not I like it enough to wear that sweater as much as I ought to once it is complete. I think today I'm pretty into it. It is a Cascade Yarn - Lana Bambu. It is 79% Wool and 21% Viscose from Bamboo.
I'm taking a sweater class to complete this project. I cast on 220 stitches on my brand spankin' new Addi needles (size 6) and I've moved onto the Addi lace needles (sharper points) in size 7 and I'm going for it. The pattern is knit rows 1-3, p3, k1 on row 4 and start over knitting again. I think the pattern will be pretty fun when it gets taller, I'll keep you posted.
Oh and I'm going to make a video of how to switch to a new ball of yarn as soon as I need to do so. If you missed the ball winder and swift video and you feel like throwing up, you should check it out.